The number of school shootings in the United States is staggering! From January to June 2018, 23 school shootings occurred on school grounds with at least one child or adult shot. On average, that is five school shootings a month!
Here are 3 simple things moms can do to be proactive when dealing with your child’s school safety. For your free Child Safety Form: School Safety with easy to use sections for any emergency, please visit www.Sonfluence.com.
- READ the information the school provides.
Remember – procedures will vary according to school, so you must read each one of your child’s pamphlets. If there are safety rules that need to be enforced, we, as parents need to support our schools and talk to our children about what they should do.
- Don’t sign anything without first reading all the information. You don’t have to read it all at once, but you must read it.
- Do understand what was written, including the various emergency terms used such as reunification and lock down versus shelter in place. Get clarification, if necessary.
TIMESAVER: Read in chunks and let dad/grandparents help. Read the information with your younger kids or have pre-teen age/teenage children give you a summary on each section. You can discuss many important safety topics under the premise of “school safety”.
- Know your child’s school emergency program, especially their procedure for notifying parents.
If you did #1, this information should have been provided.
- Don’t rely on your memory. When an emergency happens, you will have Mom “where the-hell-is-my-child” brain.
- Do take a picture with your smartphone of the page as a reminder of how the school will contact you.
- Do keep those emergency contacts up to date.
TIMESAVER: Get an easy and fast free Child Safety Form: School Emergency with a Do/Do not list, as well as a standard reunification process and form; fill it out, take a picture of it on your smart phone and save it under privacy settings. This way, you’ll have all the pertinent information for any emergency your child might have, in or out of school. BONUS: This timesaver tip works great at urgent care and emergency rooms, also. 😉
- Prepare, be proactive and then let it go.
The fact is, there are at least 100,000 public and private schools in the United States, and over 77 million students according to the U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics1. The chances of your child’s school having an active shooter or major emergency is low but not impossible.
- Don’t let knowing this information make you fearful to send your kids to school.
- Do take pride in being a responsible proactive mom and knowing this information.
- Do hug and love your kids in the present. You can never hug them too much!!!
STRESSSAVER: Hug your kids, tell them you love them and let them know that this preparation is no different than putting on a seat belt. You may never be in a car accident but if you are, wearing a seat belt can save your life.
To find out more tips and secrets to using your mommy superpowers to implement time, stress and money management techniques that allow you to master the mompreneur lifestyle, visit my Facebook page.
Until next time, may your children be safe and live a life full of love, laughter and sunshine!
Helping you put family first and master the mompreneur lifestyle! Moms ROCK!